Avant-garde constructivism and Soviet modernism is combined in the building of the railway station in Ivanovo, Russia, built in the 1930s, which has now been complemented in a manner also catering to the needs of the 21st century.
Russia’s largest train station built in constructivist style is located in the town of Ivanovo. First built in 1933, it has already undergone reconstruction works in 1950 and 1980. In the course of the latest reconstruction, the designers aimed to keep as much of its original character as possible, and they also shed light on previously hidden details.
In the course of the renovation led by Russian FABER Group, the main characteristics of the two large waiting areas, the famous blue and red halls, were preserved. These spaces follow the past completely in terms of style, but adjust to the present in terms of function. The blue hall provides comfortable and safe seating to passengers, and orientation also became simpler. In the meantime, the red hall is not only a space for passing: this area can be used to hold exhibitions, fairs and even talks in the future.